Saturday, October 27, 2012

Burning the Barrel

It has been quite awhile since my last posting.  Busy, busy.  Who knew retirement would mean more  to do.

I wasn't able to get as much "potting" done as I would have liked, but I did get one barrel firing done and finally uploaded to You Tube.  I must find a faster way to upload!  This one is only about 7 minutes long but seemed to take hours to get uploaded.

 You can see the video at: Barrel firing October 15, 2012 

A friend and fellow potter Colette joined me in this firing and added some of her pots to the mix.  She had not done this type of firing before, but found a lot of information online and was quite knowledgeable about how to wrap the pots etc.  Her pots all turned out great and I am happy with mine as well.  I had a couple crack, but in both cases the pot was being re-fired so maybe they were not strong enough to stand another round of heating and cooling.  While the barrel was burning we threw a few items for the next kiln load.

My next project will be to work with some residents of our local Seniors home.  The activities director has requested some help involving them in clay art.  I am looking forward to spending some time with them and encouraging them to let their inner child out to play in the mud.

 I have many ideas that I want to work on this coming winter including some hand building with slabs.  I am presently trying to covert an old laundry wringer ( remember those??) to a slab roller.  Wish me luck and stay tuned for pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages